My reading goal in 2017 was simple: I just wanted to increase my Goodreads average rating. I wanted to focus on the quality of the books I read over quantity. I wanted to learn to set aside books I don’t enjoy just for the sake of adding one more book to my record.
Well, thanks to a couple of beloved manga series and rereading some favorite books, I ended up reading a total of 201 books! Even better, the average rating of the books I read in 2017 is 4! It goes without saying that my Goodreads average rating definitely increased. Mission accomplished!
It was hard to decide my top 10 reads for 2017. After several hours, I finally narrowed it down to 10 books. Since this is my first yearly recap post for this blog, you should know that I don’t decide my favorites based on the superior writing style and technique. I decide based on the level of personal enjoyment and emotional investment in the characters.
01. Akatsuki No Yona manga by Mizuho Kusanagi
02. “A Crown of Wishes” by Roshani Chokshi
03. “A Conjuring of Light” by V.E. Schwab
04. The Great Library series by Rachel Caine
05. “Hunting Prince Dracula” by Kerri Maniscalco
06. Blood for Blood trilogy by Catherine Doyle
07. “Strange the Dreamer” by Laini Taylor
08. “The Bear and the Nightingale” by Katherine Arden
09. “Traitor to the Throne” by Alwyn Hamilton
10. “Murder on the Orient Express” by Agatha Christie
Because I couldn’t bring myself to stop at just 10 books, here are the other books that I loved last year. Some of them ALMOST made it to the top 10!
– “The Alice Network” by Kate Quinn
– “Bad Feminist” by Roxane Gay
– “Crimson Peak: The Art of Darkness” by Mark Salisbury
– “Death and Night” by Roshani Chokshi
– “Everything I Never Told You” by Celeste Ng
– Fruits Basket manga by Natsuki Takaya
– “The Language of Thorns” by Leigh Bardugo
– “Norse Mythology” by Neil Gaiman
– “One of Us is Lying” by Karen M. McManus
– Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima
– Shattered Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima
– “Smaller and Smaller Circles” by F.H. Batacan
– “Star Wars: Rogue One” by Alexander Freed
– “When Breath Becomes Air” by Paul Kalanithi
– The Witchlands series by Susan Dennard
– “Wonder Woman: Warbringer” by Leigh Bardugo
I wish I’m one of those amazing nerdy people who could provide you with graphs, pie charts, and whatnot. Unfortunately, I don’t have the skills and willpower for that. Haha. I decided to focus my time and efforts into linking you to my reviews of the mentioned books instead. If you wish to discuss any of them, please feel free to comment with your thoughts and I’ll get back to you!